Thanksgiving Safety Tips for Our Friends in Kansas City & Independence
LBA ServicesRated 4.8 out of 6117 reviews
Did you know that a cooking fire is more likely to occur on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year? It’s true. All those extra guests and increased activity in the kitchen can cause even the most buttoned-up culinary masters to become distracted and forget about that pie in the oven.
But by practicing a few safety tips and a with little bit of planning, you can make sure that your Thanksgiving Day gathering is fun, festive, and worry-free.
- Make the stove area a kid and pet free zone, keeping them at least three feet away from hot ovens and stove tops.
- Don’t leave that turkey to roast on its own; leave the errands for another day or leave someone in charge if you must head out of the house.
- Use a timer to remind you to check on cooking food, especially those that require extra cooking or baking time.
- Keep pot holders, dish towels, and other flammable items away from the stove top or any other heat source.
- If you’re thinking of using an outdoor gas-fueled turkey fryer, you may want to reconsider. They can lead to serious oil burns and even destruction of property.
- Whether you’re using an electric knife, a crockpot, or warming dishes, make sure that cords are out of reach of children.
- Never leave burning candles unattended, and make sure they too are out of reach of children.
- Test your smoke detectors and make sure your fire extinguisher is full and ready to go.
Another common Thanksgiving mishap is either a clogged drain or garbage disposal? Common? Actually, that’s an understatement. You see, plumbers call the day after Thanksgiving Black Friday; that’s because it’s our busiest drain cleaning day of the year. And while LBA will be on hand and ready to help should your drain or garbage disposal back up, you can prevent that from happening by:
- Keeping grease, fats, and oils out of the drain
- Grinding up only small amounts of food at a time
- Placing meat bones and fibrous foods like lettuce and soft vegetables in the trash
From all of us at LBA Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving 2016.Holiday Season Safety Advice in Kansas City & Lee’s Summit » « Teach Your Kids the Wonders of Gardening in Kansas City and Leawood.