How to Help Your AC System Last Longer in Kansas City & Blue Springs, MO
LBA Air Conditioning, Heating & PlumbingRated 4.8 out of 7765 reviews
Given: your central AC was built to last 10 – 15 years on average.
Given: during a typical Kansas City summer, your system more than earns its keep by putting in long hours, day and night.
Given: nobody likes having to replace a worn our AC system. After all, it’s nowhere near as much fun as buying a new car, right?
We could go on with similar truisms about central AC systems and how we use and abuse them, but instead, let’s jump to the point. With a little re-thinking and a change of habit here and there, you can help your system run better, last longer, and reduce your monthly electricity bill. All of which will allow you to have more money to put toward that new car, or whatever it is that currently has captivated your interest.
Follow these simple tips, and you and your AC system will both be happier:
- Any time the outdoor temperature gets near or past 100 degrees, raise your thermostat to 75 degrees. Sure, that might not be your normal comfort level, but 75 is still 25 degrees cooler than 100.
- If you haven’t already done so, add one or more zones to your AC system. Then, for example, you can keep your bedrooms nice and cool while you sleep while raising the temperature in the rest of your home.
- Even without a separate zone for your bedrooms, turn the thermostat up at night to give your system a break and make up the difference with one oscillating fan per bedroom.
- Keep shades and blinds closed during the day while the sun is beating on those windows. That will keep your house cooler, giving your AC system a less demanding goal.
- Be faithful in cleaning or replacing your filter every 30 days. A clogged filter makes your system have to work harder to provide the level of conditioned air you’ve “requested” via the thermostat.
If you really want to be buds with your AC system, get it the annual preventative maintenance it needs, and that its manufacturer recommends. Pre-season, mid-season, or even post-season – it doesn’t really matter when so long as you’re faithful about it.
So if it’s been a year or longer since the last time your system was professionally serviced, we invite you to contact LBA today for our multi-point cleaning and inspection service.