Extreme Cold Safety Tips in Kansas City and Parkville
LBA Air Conditioning, Heating & PlumbingRated 4.8 out of 6704 reviews
Turn on the TV, radio, or hop on a social media outlet and you can quickly learn just how cold it is outside. And that’s useful information here in the Kansas City area where it can be 53 degrees one day in January or February, and 23 or even colder the next.
Well, short of staying at home until spring rolls around, your next best bet for protecting yourself from bitterly cold temperatures is to prepare for the worst. And here are a number of suggestions to help get you started:
- Dress in layers and cover as much skin as possible to prevent body heat loss, hypothermia, and frostbite.
- Limit the amount of time you spend outdoors in below freezing temps.
- Bring your pets indoors. If it’s too cold for you, it’s too cold for them, too.
- Equip your car with a flashlight, batteries, and blankets in case you have a break down. And don’t forget the antifreeze and some ice melt.
- If you must use a space heater, place it on a flat, level surface at least three feet away from furniture, drapery, and bedding.
- Never leave a space heater on when you leave the house or while you’re asleep.
- Never use your oven or cooktop to heat your home.
- Make sure that all embers in your wood burning fireplace or stove are completely extinguished before going to bed.
- If you don’t have family or friends nearby, familiarize yourself with local warming shelters should your home lose power.
- Check in on elderly neighbors and relatives to make sure they’re alright during extreme weather conditions.
While there’s never a good time to have a home heating problem, things are always worse when it’s freezing cold outside. Because then, the temperature will go down much faster indoors, too. If you’ve lost heat, you can contact LBA right now for high quality professional service. We repair all makes and models of home heating systems, and we offer 24/7 emergency repair service, too.
We can also help you prevent heating problems in the first place with our cleaning and inspection service. So if it’s been a year or more since your system was last professionally serviced, contact LBA today, and give yourself one less thing to worry about for the rest of this winter.How to Get Rid of Mold Inside Your Toilet Bowl in Kansas City & Raytown » « How to Hire the Right Plumber in Kansas City & Mission, KS