5 Ways to Observe Earth Day in Kansas City & Mission, KS
LBA Air Conditioning, Heating & PlumbingRated 4.8 out of 7765 reviews
Earth Day is Tuesday, April 22nd. A day for communities across the globe to gather together in an effort to bring attention to the damaged state of our environment. And to take action, if only for a day.
Then again, Earth Day is more than just a one-day event. It’s about making meaningful lifestyle changes that will have a lasting impact. So this Earth Day, consider adopting one or more new green living habits. You may not feel the difference in global terms, but you and your family will having something new to smile and feel good about, every single day.
- Give up plastic water bottles for good. Besides taking centuries to decompose while slowly leaching the chemicals it’s made with into our soil and water, tremendous amounts of energy and resources are required in their production. And while you may think that plastic bottle sitting in your cup holder can be recycled, the truth is many lesser-grade plastics simply can’t be recycled and end up in the landfills.
- Rely less on your car. If you can take public transportation, carpool, bike or walk, do so. Your 10-15 minute daily commute might not seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but a single gallon of gas sends 20 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air. If you can’t commit every day, aim for one or two days a week.
- Eat locally produced and organically grown food when possible. Check out farmers’ markets in your area. Teach your children where food really comes from, and get to know your local farmers. Of course, nothing is more local than your own back yard. Plant a vegetable garden for an ever ready supply of delicious, fresh produce.
- Curb your household energy consumption. Install low flow faucets and shower heads and replace electricity guzzling appliances with Energy Star and Water Sense models. You can save water by fixing leaks right away. Now that springtime is finally upon us, hang your clothes out to dry instead of using your dryer. You won’t even need those chemically-laden dryer sheets to freshen your laundry, since nothing is fresher than the smell of air and sunshine.
- Become an activist. Start a movement or plan an event in your neighborhood, school, or place of business. Perhaps it’s a clothing, furniture, or toy swap. Or making sure recycling containers are available in common areas. Maybe take part in a little friendly competition to see who can reduce their carbon footprint the most. And the prize? The feeling of knowing that you’re doing something to protect Mother Earth for generations to come.
Here at LBA, a big part of what we do is helping our customers live greener lives with no loss of comfort or convenience. In fact, right now is a great time to schedule an air conditioning cleaning and inspection. Your system run better and more efficiently all summer long, and that means lower energy bills, too.