How Does a Battery Backup Sump Pump Work?
A sump pump is a device that alleviates basement flooding by collecting water in a sump basin and pushing it out of the house. It comes in either a pedestal or submersible version, the former being easier to service and the latter more easily hidden.
A battery backup sump pump does the job of a sump pump when there is no power to operate the primary one. It is not used on its own. It is responsible for draining when there is no power available.
The battery backup sump pump is an entirely separate pump from the primary one. It automatically starts working if the primary pump fails for any reason. There are many events where this feature comes in handy. This includes:
- Power Shortage - In a flooding event, this is a likely scenario.
- Main Pump Breaks Down - If the main sump pump fails, but the power is still on, the backup can help out until you are able to get a replacement.
- Main Pump Gets Overwhelmed - This is a case where they are both working together because the main pump cannot keep up with heavy flooding.
The main purpose of a battery backup sump pump is to have full defense against flooding. In addition to its main functions, it comes with a control box that turns on once a month to test that it is operational. If the pump fails its test, the box alerts you will a loud alarm. Additionally, you will receive an alert if the power goes out or the battery needs replacing. There are even high tech features that allow communication directly to your cell phone. Because of these considerations, you never have to worry that the battery backup sump pump needs any kind of backup itself.
The cost to have a professional install a battery backup sump pump in the Kansas City area is between $600 – $4,000. This price depends on:
- The type of pump installed
- The volume the pump can handle
- How complex or complicated of a job
LBA Services is happy to speak more with you about the costs involved in a backup sump pump installation. Contact us online today and one of our experienced technicians will be in touch shortly.
A sump pump backup battery can last several hours. A few factors influence how long the battery will run:
- How much water is entering the sump basket- the more water, the more often the pump has to run.
- Size of the battery
- The power consumption of the sump pump
For more information on sump pump battery backup, contact LBA Services online and we will be happy to help answer any questions.
If your Kansas City sump pump does not currently have a battery backup, then yes, it is possible to install one later. LBA Services offers installation on sump pumps and backups. Contact us online today to schedule a consultation. contact LBA Services online today!
The best backup battery for a sump pump is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. These batteries are ideal for sump pumps for a number of reasons:
- Can be charged at normal voltages with no special charger required
- Charges faster than other types
- Can be stored longer without losing its charge
- Safe to use as it won’t leak if punctured
- Maintenance free, meaning the cells will not dry out and water won’t need to be added over time
- Allows increased energy capacity
For questions on sump pump backup batteries, contact us online today. Click for more information on our Perfect Service Family Membership.